Abbi Sue

My photo
I am a farm girl from a small town called Preston. I served a mission in the great state of Texas. San Antonio still has my heart! I am the oldest of 3 kids! My parents are my heroes. My Grandma taught me from a young age that I am of great worth. Before I would leave her house she would say, Boo (that is my nick name) who are you? My reply, Grandma I am Boo Shaffer a daughter of God! I believe with all my heart that happiness is a choice we get to make every morning! I love my life!!

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Family Culture

In my Family Relations class this week one of our discussions was directed towards culture, specifically in family life. The definition in the dictionary for culture is, "The attitudes and behavior characteristic of a particular social group." At the end of class the question I was asking myself and the question I invite you all to think about is, what is the culture that we have set or want to set in our homes? For a long time when I heard the word "culture" I thought of food and different life styles people were living all over the world. This is not incorrect, but it is a very surface level understanding. 

It is interesting this class has made me think a lot about what I want the culture to be like in my future home. It is so easy to get stuck on where I want to be financially, what my social status will be, but what I really want to focus on is the culture and traditions that will be passed down to my family. I want my kids to know who they are and what potential they have in them as they rely on the Savior. I also want them to treat others in such a way that those they are among see themselves as something special, something Devine. I found a quote from a BYU Speech called Traditions of Excellence.  

"President Kimball has told of a time when he was meeting with church leaders in a foreign country where different ideologies touched their children. He asked how the parents were able to hold their children and keep them from evil. He said their reply was proper. We train our children in our homes so completely in the way of right and truth that the destructive, godless philosophies and heresies of their other teachers run off without penetrating, like water on a duck’s back, and our children remain true to the faith. [“The Family Influence,” Ensign, July 1973, p. 15]" 

It is obvious that we have a culture with in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It promotes a lifestyle to where we can be eternal, we can live with those that we love!I found this quote online when I typed in family culture, "Family culture is the unique way that a family forms itself in terms of rules, roles, habits, activities, beliefs, and other areas. " Culture is what makes us different, I can honestly say that the culture I was raised around formed me into who I am today. Education is important to me, because my parents made sure it was something they stressed as essential. I just wanted to share a few of these thoughts with y'all. I hope that you can take a step back at look at what you are creating in your home! 



No comments:

Post a Comment