Abbi Sue

My photo
I am a farm girl from a small town called Preston. I served a mission in the great state of Texas. San Antonio still has my heart! I am the oldest of 3 kids! My parents are my heroes. My Grandma taught me from a young age that I am of great worth. Before I would leave her house she would say, Boo (that is my nick name) who are you? My reply, Grandma I am Boo Shaffer a daughter of God! I believe with all my heart that happiness is a choice we get to make every morning! I love my life!!

Thursday, March 9, 2017

We talk all the time, but are we Communicating??!

The answer to the question posed in the title is yes. We are always communicating! The trick is do we always understand the messages and signals being sent? I want to focus today on encoding and decoding! I know y'all are thinking great... this article already sounds like a real doozy! I promise if you keep reading the information I am about to share will surprise you, and who knows you just might walk away with a goal or two to make your communication skills a little better!?



Encoding is when a person has a thought and sends it out as a media either verbally or even none verbally. The receiver is also known as the decoder. We use trading behaviors to help us decode, and as the one who sends the message, we see how it is being taken,things such as eye contact, nodding of head, and when a person says yeah or yes. It is true that actions really do speak louder than words.
Just as someone would not drink out of a bottle with the poison sign on it. We can not expect someone to want to go on a date with us if overtime you look at them they glare at you and stick their tung out. Silly example yes, but I hope it helps you see the principle of our actions being a huge part of the way others read us.  

I find it interesting that women are the ones who usually come to communicate with someone about their frustrations, and that communication is the most common problem they bring to the table. 




I learned something they other day from a friend of mine, he said that if you decode something as a negative do your best to encode it to understand if what you got from it was really what they were trying to relay. Especially in marriages! Why do we give our harshest looks and often ignore those that we love the most? I believe the answer is, Satan. He and his angles are trying to interrupt the way that we encode and decode. For those of you who are married look at the image below and which corner best describes your relationship? How could you make it be more like the bottom right by using the principles of encoding and decoding??

The brethren of the church have been encouraging us to have family councils, why? Why would they want us to sit down together and learn to work through the small problems. It couldn't be that they are preparing us for when the bigger trials come and attack our family could it? They have shared how they conduct their councils, there is great wisdom in the layout they use. First they usually come early to express love to one other and to share their appreciation. They then open with a prayer to come to know Gods will. They discuss that will, not their opinions or their personal preferences. They take turns as they discuss matters, and never raise their voices. I find it interesting that they do not always see eye to eye all of the time. They each bring a vision. They close with a prayer and have refreshments.

 My prayer is that all of you reading this will take the principle of encoding and decoding and use it! Apply it in your councils. I can testify that councils bring strength to a unit. I know as we seek to do Gods will, windows will open up and blessings will pour down upon us. I love each of you and hope there is something small from this weeks post that you can take away and personalize and apply in your lives! 

God Bless!



No comments:

Post a Comment