Abbi Sue

My photo
I am a farm girl from a small town called Preston. I served a mission in the great state of Texas. San Antonio still has my heart! I am the oldest of 3 kids! My parents are my heroes. My Grandma taught me from a young age that I am of great worth. Before I would leave her house she would say, Boo (that is my nick name) who are you? My reply, Grandma I am Boo Shaffer a daughter of God! I believe with all my heart that happiness is a choice we get to make every morning! I love my life!!

Thursday, February 9, 2017

L...O...V...E...

I have been gone on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera this week. As fun and enjoyable as it has been I have had a lot of time to think about my loved ones back at home. I have also done a ton of homework on this cruise (I know... who does that!) And in the reading the part that stuck out to me the most was the different words that describe the different kinds of love. They were philia, which is the love between friends; storage, love between parents and their kids; agape, the feeling of love for an individual to act on the well being of someone else; eros, more than lust it is to have a desire to have sex with just one person. 

An example of philia in my personal life is with my friend Sabey. She goes to school in Provo and I live in Rexburg. We do not get to see each other very often, but when we do it  is like we never skipped a beat. It is one of those friendships that has been tested since the day we meant. We lived in the same ward and rode the same school bus. Less than sixth months later her family decided to move and I thought the end of the world had come. She lived all over and though every move and both of our missions we stayed close. I can honestly say that I love her and that I would do anything for her!

Storage is the one that is hitting on my heart strings right now. I love my family so much! It is interesting how not being able to talk to them and see them affects me. I have never questioned my parents love for me. My mom has dropped what she is doing multiple times  just to come and take care of me. My dad was the queen dad who never missed a competition (most girls can not say that.) I have been blessed beyond measure. 



To describe Agape in my personal life I will share a story. I was dating an incredible kid who treated me so good. I remember the day he told me he loved me I told him I loved him back and then later we were talking and I asked him what "love" meant to him. He told me respect and commitment. He asked me and I told him that I love him, but that I feel like there are different kinds of love. I did love him there was no doubt about it, but I  couldn't say that I loved him in the sense of wanting to run and get married. I felt agape toward him.  

Well I can't say I have personal experience in the eros area. I do know that it is something I look forward to. Loving someone so much that you want to be committed to just them. I think this relates right into the gospel. I think taking it to the next step and wanting to spend forever with one person for the rest of your life. 

For any of you reading this blog post. I invite you to tell someone in each of these categories how much you love them. Yes, you should be telling at least four people. 

Christ is true pure love. I know as we each come unto him and seek to feel his love and to also share his love we will find joy in this life and we will also help others to find it. I love each you!

No comments:

Post a Comment